Do you like my leather chair? Will you like it less if I tell you a secret? It’s not leather!!!! It’s actually chalk paint on fabric !!
Yes honestly! It was a light blue short nap velvet and now it’s like buttery kid leather.
I’ve come across a lot of questions from people about chalk paint on fabric, so I wanted to pass on my tips. The secret is: water, sanding and buffing!! My preferred chalk paint to use is Fat Paint, as I love how it covers everything.
Here’s the steps for chalk paint on a fabric chair
1) dilute chalk paint with water to a medium consistency
2) spray fabric with water and keep damp while you paint first coat
3) when dry, the fabric will feel rough, so sand with medium sandpaper
4) for the second coat use a thicker paint to water ratio
5) sand again
6) if third coat is needed use full strength paint and then sand when dry
7) apply clear wax, wipe off excess with paper towel
8) I use a horsehair shoe brush to buff to a high sheen
That’s it….my tricks for chalk paint on fabric. Here’s a couple of other chairs I’ve done with the same method.